We’ve had a few very busy weeks! My husband traveled to China for a week and my parents were here for the next week so I’ve been really slacking in posting my recipes. No worries though. I’ve got lots of good stuff coming for you!
My husband LOVES chicken pot pie and I made this simple version of the dish for him right before he left for China. He always craves American food right before he leaves and right when he gets home from his trips, so of course, I indulge him!
I didn’t have time to make pie dough and didn’t have any refrigerated dough shells on hand so I used biscuits to top it. However, you could use this recipe with pie dough if you wanted to; you could do a top and bottom layer, just a bottom layer or just a top layer. Your choice! And biscuits are a really easy alternative too.
The only tricky part about using biscuits on this dish is that its really difficult to tell when they’re done. Unlike pie dough that is done when it’s nice and golden brown, biscuits are thicker and will cook from the top down because they are sitting on the chicken and gravy. You may have to pull the casserole out of the oven and do a few biscuit checks until they are cooked all the way through. When the biscuits are fully cooked, and the chicken and gravy are hot and bubbly, your dish is done.
Another substitute that you can make in this dish without fail are the vegetables. You can use canned, frozen or fresh and really any combination that your family likes. I used a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots and green beans) and a can of chopped mushrooms that I had on hand. In general, the rule is that you want to add vegetables that are cooked to this dish so if they are frozen, you should cook them in the microwave or boil them, and similarly, if they are raw you should sautee them or boil them. Canned vegetables can be added as-is since they are already cooked.
- 2 cooked chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can chopped mushrooms
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tube of refrigerated biscuits (small or large biscuits)
1) Preheat oven to 350. Chop cooked chicken (season with salt and pepper and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes) into bite sized pieces, set aside in a medium bowl.
2) Boil 6 cups of water and cook frozen vegetables for 4-6 minutes until they are tender. Add vegetables to bowl with chicken and stir to combine.
3) Mix up your “gravy”. Wisk together the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken soup and milk. Season to your taste with salt and pepper. Pour gravy mixture over chicken and vegetables. Mix just to incorporate.
4) Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray, add in chicken and vegetable gravy mixture. Next, arrange your biscuits on top of the casserole. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the biscuits are done and the gravy mixture is bubbly.