My parents were visiting from NY last week and they brought us a HUGE box of NY Empire and MacIntosh apples. I haven’t been cooking with apples yet this Fall because the apples here in NC are different and I just haven’t been brave enough to cook with different varieties yet! For this recipe I used NY Empires, but you really could use any apple that you like.
We had our neighbors over for dinner last weekend and I made this Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake for dessert. This cake has a dense cake-like base and a coffee cake-like topping. I’ve been eating the leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner! ‘Tis the season to gain weight, right?
There are lots of steps to this recipe, it’s not just a simple cake, but I promise that it’s worth it! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 t cinnamon
- 6 T cold unsalted butter, cubed
Ingredients for Apple Layer:
- 5 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 T unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 t salt
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
1) Make the Crumb Topping. In a medium bowl, combine the ¾ cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup sugar, and 1½ teaspoons cinnamon. Add in the cubed butter, and using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
2) Make the Apple Layer. In a large bowl, combine your peeled, sliced apples with 1 cup of brown sugar, 4 tablespoons of melted (and cooled) butter, cinnamon, orange juice, and salt. Toss to combine, and set aside.
3) Make the Cake Batter. Preheat your oven to 350. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the sugar and egg one at a time. Add vanilla and orange zest. Mix to combine. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk in small amounts until all has been combined. Mix just until combined – do not overmix.
5) Prepare your springform pan. Line the bottom of a 10″ springform pan with parchment paper. Cut out a circle and line the bottom of the pan with it, then grease it, and the sides of your pan with cooking spray. Pour the cake batter into the bottom of the pan, then arrange the apple slices over the top in a circular pattern. It may look like you have too many apples, but they will cook down considerably so no worries there! Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top and pat down lightly.
6) Bake for 1 hour or until golden and set. Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
*Modified from http://crepesofwrath.net/2012/09/04/apple-crumb-cake/